Wrist Pain Diagnosis and Treatment in Port Charlotte & Fort Myers FL
Wrist pain affects a variety of people—from young competitive athletes to working professionals in the prime of their career. If you’ve been dealing with acute or chronic wrist pain yourself, you’re likely curious about what’s causing it and—more importantly—how it can be resolved. At the Florida Hand Center, we offer a range of diagnostic and therapeutic services to help
Top Causes of Wrist Pain
Wrist pain—which often is associated with additional symptoms like hand numbness and tingling, weakened grip strength, and forearm pain—can negatively impact virtually all aspects of your daily life. What’s causing yours? The following are a few of the most common wrist pain conditions we see at our clinic:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome: inside your wrist is an anatomical structure known as the carpal tunnel, made up of bones and ligaments. Tendons, blood vessels, and nerves pass through this tunnel on their way from the forearm into the wrist. Sometimes, due to repetitive strain, illness, acute injury, or even pregnancy, this tunnel can become inflamed and swollen, which may compress the median nerve inside. This can cause wrist pain and numbness in the first few fingers of your hand.
- Ganglion cysts: these are benign, fluid-filled tumors which form near tendons or joints. In the wrist, they can feel like a bump or lump and may lead to pain, tenderness, and numbness in the fingers or wrist area. Usually, pain is worse with activity and minimal to absent at rest.
- Osteoarthritis: past injuries (such as falls on an outstretched hand) or a long history of repetitive strain (common with certain athletic and work-related tasks) can exacerbate the normal wear and tear that occurs in the wrist joint as you age. If sufficient wearing down of the wrist joint occurs, painful bone-on-bone rubbing can occur and lead to stiffness, pain, and even compensatory bony overgrowth.
How Our Florida Hand Doctors Manage Your Wrist Pain
Our team of Florida hand doctors—Dr. Ivan G. Olarte and Dr. Stephen L. Helgemo, Jr.—are among the leading hand surgeons in the Port Charlotte and Fort Myers area. They offer a range of techniques to relieve your wrist pain and concurrently address the root cause of your symptoms so your wrist pain relief is longer lasting.
These services include:
- Free hand screenings (great for diagnosis AND prevention!)
- Diagnostic imaging, including X-rays and MRI
- Prescription medication, including anti-inflammatories
- Surgical techniques, including carpal tunnel release
- Lifestyle counseling and ergonomic training
Need Wrist Pain Relief?
Contact the Florida Hand Center at (941) 257-3470 to schedule an initial consultation or a free hand and wrist screening with one of our experienced Port Charlotte and Fort Myers hand doctors.